Here is the very big picture.
Western Civilization has lost its theological, moral, and aesthetic roots. It is deracinated and living on a fading memory of incomparable truths, which it cannot support without Judeo-Christian knowledge. See Francis Schaeffer, How Shall We Then Live?
2. The state, in the absence of strong religious knowledge and culture-building and culture-sustaining, will absorb the function value-creation.
3. Since there is no law above the law, the state is directed by "the will to power" (Nietzsche) more than anything else. See J. W. Montgomery, The Law Above the Law.
4. The state, having abandoned "the doctrine of objective moral value" (C.S. Lewis, "The Abolition of Man"), become an Innovator. It creates values ex nihilo. As such, it conditions humanity; it does not and cannot persuade that its actions serve objective moral values.
5. Given technological developments and statism, the state seeks to ape God's omniscience, requiring total knowledge of its servants (not citizens, and outmoded concept, given the death of objective value).
6. Therefore, as the state absorbs health care, limits personal proper rights, regulates more and more institutions, it takes away our Constitutional freedoms, since the Constitution has no moral authority, given what the Innovators claim. See Francis Schaeffer, A Christian Manifesto.
7. This is what is left of America. It may be a mortal wound--but not to the Kingdom of God